10

July

SUNDAY

3:00pm

Elise Batnes & Louisa Tuck

Duo for Violin & Cello

Elise Batnes & Louisa Tuck

Duo for Violin & Cello

10

July

SUNDAY

3:00pm

MUSIC

For the final chamber concert of this first weekend, Elise Batnes (Leader of the Oslo Philharmonic) and Louisa Tuck (Principal Cello of the Oslo Philharmonic) bring an eclectic recital to one of the Marsh’s most intimate churches. Kodaly’s Duo for Violin and Cello, the centrepiece of this concert, models perfectly the cross-pollination of Hungarian folk materials and the formal structures of art music. Please note: there are NO public toilets in this medieval church. The performance will last 60 minutes .

PROGRAMME

Spare Olsen (1903-1984)
Folkstone fra Lom
Howard Skempton (b.1947)
Six Figures for Solo Cello
Reinhold Glière (1875-1956)
Selected ‘Morceaux (Duos) pour Violon et Violoncelle, Op,39
Zoltán Kodály (1882-1967)
Duo for Violin and Cello, Op.7
Johan Halvorsen (1864-1935)
Passacaglia for Violin and Cello

ARTISTS

TICKETS

£15
(under 18s free)
please note: there are NO public toilets in this medieval church

SOLD OUT!

Clear
Concert duration: c.60'

Get Involved

Become a Friend of JAM

VENUE

St Clement · Old Romney

Address

St Clement's Church
Old Romney
Romney Marsh
TN29 0HP

History

St Clement in Old Romney is a Church of England parish church and one of the oldest churches in Kent. It was originally constructed in the 12th century although there is some evidence of an original structure on the site dating back to the 8th century. One of the most-visited Marsh churches, built on an artificial mound to protect it from the floodwaters. There is a Norman nave enlarged by the addition of aisles in the thirteenth century. Because of its virtually unrestored state it has many items of interest, the uneven floor creating a very rural atmosphere. The two hagioscopes to either side of the chancel arch are unusually large and are little more than holes knocked into the wall. The rood loft staircase, discovered in the 1920's, still has its medieval door frame - a rare survival indeed. In the north chapel is the mensa medieval altar. The delightful altar rails are early eighteenth century and present a run of very close-set balusters. The box pews and gallery are of later eigtheenth century date and were repainted for the Rank film 'Dr Syn'. The large Royal Arms of George III are dated 1800 - the lion has a particularly smug expression!

Thank you to our generous sponsors

Scroll to Top